A high-performance digital infrastructure is a key prerequisite for successful technological change. In its digital agenda, the federal government set itself the goal of nationwide basic broadband coverage of at least 50 Mbps. By 2025, Germany is now to take the step towards the gigabit society through increased fibre-optic expansion. This assumes a necessary investment volume of around 80 billion euros.
This project is ambitious, especially when one considers that especially in rural regions, broadband expansion by private-sector providers has been stagnating for several years due to a lack of economic viability and a high financial risk.
To ensure the expansion of high-performance digital networks, it is now up to the public sector itself. This presents complex challenges: In addition to the surveying and analysis of the topographical and technical conditions, a suitable business model for the expansion and operation of the broadband network must be identified - if necessary in cooperation with a private partner - and a resilient financing model must be developed, making the best possible use of corresponding funding opportunities.
These challenges are accompanied by a wide range of strategic, economic, technological and legal issues. KPMG supports those involved in managing these issues. Below is an excerpt of our consulting offer.
- Development and structuring of project models and financing plans
- Advice on public procurement law for market exploration and tenders
- Support for the EU-compliant arrangement of the financing
- Clarification of general municipal issues
- Tax-related support in the development of project structures, assessment of the tax treatment of grants
- Advice on the development of partnership models with municipalities for broadband expansion
- Consultation on economic analysis and identification of funding opportunities
- Advice on the fulfilment of telecommunication regulatory requirements
Associations, chambers and other interest groups
* Legal services are provided by KPMG Law Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH.