Who we are and how we can help
Led by former IRS senior excise tax counsel, KPMG’s Excise Tax practice in Washington National Tax guides clients across all affected industries through a wide range of complex excise tax issues.
In an area that possesses a myriad of specialized rules, our practice helps clients understand their excise tax positions while helping them manage risks and identify potential opportunities for available tax refunds and credits related to excise taxation.
We can help with:
- Evaluating a company's excise tax positions
- Advising on the reduction of future excise tax exposure
- Managing risks related to excise taxation
- Identifying refund and credit opportunities pertaining to excise taxation
- Streamlining excise tax-related administrative processes
- Assisting with excise tax planning, including preparation and review of requests for letter rulings and IRS pre-filing agreements
- Providing compliance services related to excise tax rules and regulations, including excise tax return and claim filings
- Considering penalty standards and pursuing opportunities for relief, including penalties for the late filing of excise tax returns, late payments, and late or missing excise tax deposits
- Supporting clients in complex IRS examinations or at the IRS appeal level, including anticipating, managing, and responding to excise tax issues raised by the IRS and assisting in the drafting of requests for technical advice
- Working with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) in relation to client examinations and ruling requests.
About our Excise Tax practice
Our Excise Tax practice is led by Taylor Cortright, a former IRS Office of Chief Counsel excise tax attorney responsible for published guidance on excise taxes, technical advice to IRS excise tax agents, and letter rulings to taxpayers.
Our Excise Tax practice is part of KPMG’s Washington National Tax practice and works with professionals throughout KPMG's Tax, Audit, and Advisory divisions to provide federal excise tax compliance, consulting, and controversy services to clients across various industry sectors.
Our excise tax experience includes:
- Energy and environmental taxes and incentives
- Conventional motor fuel
- Renewable and alternative fuel
- Healthcare related taxes
- Branded prescription drug fee
- Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) fee
- Alcohol and tobacco taxes
- Foreign insurance excise tax
- Transportation taxes
- Heavy highway vehicles
- Taxable tires
- Commercial and general aviation
- Sporting goods
- Bows, arrows and archery equipment
- Sport fishing equipment
- Firearms and ammunition