It is obligatory on part of the companies and foreign citizens to comply with the local immigration guidelines. The employment and business visa guidelines in India have been modified from time to time, primarily to protect the interests of Indian workers, whereas tourist visa guidelines have been modified to address concerns on internal security.
Further, immigration systems are being upgraded and paperless/automated application mechanisms are being introduced. Therefore, need of the hour is to keep abreast with the latest developments.
The schemes of Person of Indian Origin (‘PIO’) card and Overseas Citizen of India (‘OCI’) card have been merged. Existing PIO card holders need to apply and procure OCI cards to be eligible for availing benefits like quicker immigration clearance, avail consular services from Indian mission etc.
Any default in complying with the immigration guidelines could result in penal consequences including deportation of the foreign citizen and adverse consequences for the organisation. Therefore, it is imperative that the guidelines are followed and necessary compliances like registration with the Foreigner Regional Registration Office (‘FRRO’), visa extensions, etc. are complied with within the stipulated timeline.
Key service offerings
Our team can assist you in the following areas:
- Advise on the type of visa that may be required by a foreign citizen (e.g. business, employment, project, intern, etc.)
- Assistance in applying for OCI card
- Advise on the procedural issues related to visa (e.g. assistance in preparing/review of visa application documents etc.)
- Advise and assist with the residency and work permits for Indian citizens traveling overseas
- Assistance in extension of visas in India
- Assistance in registration of foreign citizens with the FRRO
- Assistance in endorsements on the passport (e.g. change of employer, conversion of visa, regularisation of overstay, etc.)
- Assistance in seeking necessary clarifications/approvals from government and regulatory authorities.