In his career spanning more than 20 years, Gaurav has worked with Tax & Regulatory practice of Arthur Andersen and EY (1995-2002). Gaurav was the Controller for Services businesses of Microsoft India in Bangalore from 2003-2006. He joined KPMG in India in the year 2007 as a Director in Tax & Regulatory practice and was elevated to the position of Partner in 2008 and is the North India leader for the International Tax practice. Gaurav is the first Tax Partner to become a sector leader and currently leads the Aerospace and Defence practice. Gaurav has held a number of leadership roles in the past as well, including the role of People Leader for Tax practice and German Corridor Leader for KPMG in India.
Areas of Expertise:
- Gaurav has over 20 years of experience in Corporate & International Tax with leading professional services firms and three years of industry experience with Microsoft Corporation.
- Gaurav has in depth experience and understanding of companies operating in the Aerospace and Defence sector and over the last decade, worked on some of the marquee transactions and with most of the prominent companies in this area.
- He has advised defence conglomerates in aspects relating to:
- Defence Procurement Procedure which governs the process of capital acquisition programmes and the procedure for offset implementation;
- Entry strategies, tax-efficient ownership and operating structures, structuring of contracts, exchange control and corporate law matters;
- Obtaining approvals from various regulatory authorities, including foreign investments and Industrial Licencing.
- Gaurav is the Co-Chairman of the AMCHAM Defence committee. He is an active speaker on sectoral / policy matters in the media and various industry forums. He has also been a part of various thought leadership initiatives of KPMG in India including conceptualising and authoring reports for CII, Institute of Defence Studies and Analysis (IDSA) on Aerospace and Defence sector-specific topics.
- Gaurav provided a number of significant inputs to the Indian Ministry of Defence in relation to some important aspects of the procurement policy. Several recommendations contributed towards fine tuning defence contracting in line with global best practices. KPMG in India was also recognised as a key stakeholder in policy formulation by the Ministry while announcing the Defence Acquisition Procedure, 2020.
Chartered Accountant, India, 1998
Bachelor of Commerce [SRCC, New Delhi], 1995
Member of the Tax Executive Team
Head of Corporate & International Tax for North India
Head – Aerospace & Defence Sector role
Leads KPMG A&D Finance Forum since 2018
Graduated from the EMA Chairman’s 25 program in 2019
Co-Chair of AMCHAM Defence Committee since 2016