Our Emerging Giants team works with fast-growing startup and scaleup businesses across the UK in helping them to meet their ambitions
What is an Emerging Giant?
An early stage, but rapidly growing business, poised for significant growth? You’re what we call an Emerging Giant.
Privately-owned, forward-thinking and ambitious, you have plenty of potential and lots of innovative ideas. And you’re now looking for ways to manage and accelerate your business.
You may be cautious about squeezing into services that are too limited for your ambitions. Likewise, you want to avoid sizing up to a corporate category that is much too big, too complex and too soon. And you certainly don’t want a service that overwhelms your budget.
You want services that are as unique as you are, for the enterprise you already are and the giant you aspire to become.
Welcome to KPMG’s Emerging Giants Centre of Excellence, purposefully designed for start-up and scale-up businesses, across all sectors, no matter where in the UK you are based.
Who are we?
For businesses that need a different type of support at critical points in their lifecycles, we’ve wrapped our specialist services into our Emerging Giants Centre of Excellence.
You’ll find KPMG people, with a genuine enthusiasm for nurturing exciting and innovative growth businesses, who take the time to understand your plans and identify the bespoke services to help get you there.
Along the way, we steer you through early-stage funding and investment, guide you through your governance responsibilities, and help you to tackle the inevitable challenges that come with growth.
As your trusted advisor, we can introduce you to industry specialists from across our global firm, who can help you measure where you’re at and where you’re heading. We can walk you through tried and tested means of getting to your destination, while exploring alternative routes for businesses that are anything but ordinary.
When the time is right, the adviser that has supported your businesses growth will be at your side as you plan for an exit.
Here are just some of the ways in which provide extra support to ambitious businesses like yours. Click on the icons to find out more.
Our holistic programme of support to help you accelerate your business growth
Global Tech Innovator
Our annual competition to recognise the top UK and global innovators
Connect on Board
Our tool to help you find the right people to sit on your board, at the right time
Emerging Giants Community
Our bespoke community for businesses like yours, hosted on our client platform Beyond
Our quarterly outlook at the Global VC investment trends and analysis
Our dedicated support for your VC fundraising and any advisory, from seed through to global scale
Our strategic partnership with Universities to support the next generation of tech leaders
Emerging Giants lifecycle
As your business grows, you might need additional support along the way. Here’s how we can help you to navigate the ups and downs in your lifecycle.
Support as you grow
Working with Emerging Giants, we have identified four core areas where our clients really value external knowledge and support.
To help you source next-stage funding to progress and accelerate your growth, our Emerging Giants Centre of Excellence provides:
- Access to fundraising advice via KPMG Acceleris, our joint venture with specialist capital advisory firm Acceleris. It gives entrepreneurs access to an active investor pool for funding between £1m and £30m+, across most sectors, but specifically technology, life sciences and ESG-related activities.
- Debt advisory support when you need to refinance existing debt, fund future growth, raise capital to support M&A or address shareholder or balance sheet opportunities. Our debt advisory professionals can also help with liquidity issues or dealings with lenders in times of financial stress.
- Support with accessing and managing grants.
- Legal support for deals, raising debt and equity finance.
- Help with the claims process to make sure that your business gets the government-backed tax reliefs and incentives it is entitled to. These reliefs and incentives can provide funding for innovation or be used as part of your broader tax strategy to manage your effective tax rate.
Attracting, motivating and retaining high-performing people can be a challenge. As an Emerging Giant, we can support your employment strategy with:
- Payroll, compensation policies and solutions tailored for your globally mobile employees. Our People Services team can provide valuable advice on attracting and retaining top talent with relevant and enticing rewards and benefits.
- Connect on Board, our platform to identify the non-executive directors who are the right fit for your board.
As a fast-growing business, your aspirations are likely to extend beyond your core market. We can help you to:
- Scale up and branch out. Our global network of KPMG firms means we’ve got specialists in locations around the world, on the ground and ready to help as you expand into new markets or territories.
- Manage the complexities of international tax. Whether you are expanding your international footprint, investing cross-border or need help with identifying and managing tax risk in your current business, you can leave your international tax to us.
- Comply with your obligations under company law. Our company secretarial services help to keep you and your business compliant, reducing the risk of enforcement action, so that you can get on with your day-to-day activities and grow.
- Ensure that your business stays relevant and competitive with international business structuring.
As your businesses scales, we’ll help you to keep on top of your regulatory, compliance and governance obligations. We can support you with:
- All aspects of your tax affairs via our family office and private client services.
- Liaison with HMRC to resolve your corporate tax enquiries promptly and efficiently.
- Legal solutions to your regulatory, compliance and governance challenges, as well as your ESG responsibilities.
- Tax compliance in the digital age.
Since REZZIL joined KPE Access we have been welcomed into the KPMG family, even speaking to all 16,000 KPMG UK colleagues at an event! My cohort lead has taken the time to get to know our business very well, and they have made relevant introductions. The monthly masterclasses allow us to learn and assess where we need to focus our energy for scaling the business. We have experienced a local and intimate service yet the benefits of Global reach.
KPE Access Cohort member
The Tech Innovator competition is a really important way to make sure that these brilliant innovations — and the tech entrepreneurs behind them — become more widely known. If you care about the future, this is a competition you can’t afford to miss.
2022 Tech Innovator in the UK and
Global Tech Innovator winner
KPMG is dedicated to supporting our Emerging Giants clients, and when it comes to Cyber Strategy it’s never too early to start work on this. I have enjoyed working with the Access clients, sharing tips and insights, and supporting the cohorts to consider and develop their own cyber strategy plans.
Director – Cyber Security
KPMG in the UK