Dispute Resolution & Controversy Services
Tax authorities worldwide are under increasing pressure to generate revenue, causing a rise in tax audit activity across all taxing jurisdictions and all types of tax. Particular uncertainty can ariseas global businesses seek to access new and developing markets where the local tax environment may be unfamiliar and extremely unpredictable.
This pressure on tax authorities is resulting in more investigation, larger adjustments, and increased potential for penalties and interest. Wherever you do business, it’s important to approach your tax matters proactively and be ready to respond if and when a local tax investigation begins. KPMG’s Tax Dispute Prevention and Resolution Team can help you prepare to manage any tax authority challenge that comes your way.
We provide the following services
Protect：Transaction documentation review tax reporting
• Evaluating transactions “from the revenue authority’s perspective” and providing assistance in working through the relevant processes, to obtain technical rulings, opinions, clearances and waivers in advance of your transactions.
• Preparing documentation and files to support tax positions in anticipation of future tax authority request for information
• Shielding confidential tax analyses from inappropriate tax authority scrutiny in jurisdictions having a form of legal privilege
• Navigating voluntary disclosure, advance compliance and other tax authority programs.
Manage：Tax audits and queries
• Negotiating audits, responses to audit queries, and, where regulations permit, judicial appeals
• Responding to tax authority demands for information or documentation
• Engaging with the tax authority to agree on a project-based approach to progress collaboratively
• Working with senior officials to help ensure stated administrative policies and procedures are followed.
Resolve：Tax dispute and controversy process
• Making informed decisions on preferred options for resolving difficult disputes, e.g. alternative forms of dispute resolution, settlement, and, in certain jurisdictions, litigation
• Helping finalize settlements and ensure appropriate documentation in collaboration with the tax authority
• Managing the tax dispute resolution process in a non-confrontational and effective manner.
• Using all available procedures and processes to help bring closure to your disputes, effectively and efficiently.
Meet our team