VAT – Quick fixes transposed to the internal legislation
VAT: Quick fixes transposed to the internal legislation
The quick fixes now approved have retroactive effects to 1 January 2020.
Law no. 49/2020, of 24 August, introducing the EU VAT quick fixes applicable to intra-EU supplies of goods into the internal legislation has been published in the Official Gazette.
There are three the quick fixes now approved – with retroactive effects to 1 January 2020 –, transposing Council Directive 2018/1910, of 4 December, specifically:
- the simplification measure applicable to call of stock arrangements;
- the rules applicable for the determination of the intra-EU transport in chain transactions;
- the inclusion of the VAT identification number of the person acquiring the goods in the VIES system as a substantive condition for the application of the VAT exemption in intra-EU supplies of goods.
Please note that the fourth quick fix – related to the uniformization of the rules applicable to the proof of transport in intra-EU supplies of goods – was already in force since 1 January 2020, as it has been approved by Council Implementing Regulation 2018/1912, of 4 December.
Due to the retroactive effect of the measures now approved, taxpayers may submit/replace “EC sales list” returns which should have been presented/replaced in line with said legislation until 31 December 2020.
© 2023 KPMG Advisory – Consultores de Gestão, S.A., a Portuguese private limited company and a member firm of the KPMG global organization of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Limited, a private English company limited by guarantee. All rights reserved.
For more detail about the structure of the KPMG global organization please visit https://kpmg.com/governance.
Connect with us
- Find office locations kpmg.findOfficeLocations
- Social media @ KPMG kpmg.socialMedia