Whereas our other expertise areas focus on specific business issues, our enterprise-wide strategy covers transformation in a broader sense. We refer to enterprise-wide strategy when member firm clients need a fundamental review of, or change in, where they play and how they win.
Organisations may require assistance with their enterprise-wide strategy for a number of reasons:
- different stakeholder interests are not aligned or do not provide for a clear direction
- there is a misaligned financial ambition, or a lack of a clear financial ambition around which to develop and implement a common strategy
- disruptive external forces are impacting both business and operating models
- the company is running at less than the sum of its parts, due to unrealised synergies or significant inefficiencies
- the company seeks to create a long-term plan for success.
KPMG assists clients with addressing the following questions in designing, planning and implementing their enterprise-wide strategies:
- How do I refresh my strategy, given recent changes in the market dynamics?
- How do I redefine my business and ensure we think strategically?
- How do I improve internal/external perception of the business and alignment between the ambition, business and operating models?
- How do I manage our portfolio and improve the role of the corporate Centre?
Enterprise-wide strategy aligns the organisation’s financial ambition, business model and operating model to maximise portfolio value and assist the planning and implementation process. Our 9 Levers of Value framework is at the heart of our approach. KPMG professionals methodically map the journey from where you need to be, back to where you are today – and what needs to happen for that journey to be realised.
Our approach therefore provides the overarching framework into which multi-year strategic planning, capital allocation model builds, strategic reviews, portfolio and synergy assessments, scenario planning, and other Enterprise-wide services sit.
The stories below demonstrate our experience developing enterprise-wide strategies for clients:
Transforming a company to achieve ambitious financial targets
As a result of new leadership, a multinational investment manager was considering a significant transformation, with an ambitious target of 300% revenue growth. KPMG firms crafted an enterprise-wide strategy to bring their vision – and the required journey to achieve it – to life.
Creating long-term profitability in a changing environment
Facing industry disruption, a Japanese oil refinery business needed assistance to develop a strategy for their portfolio businesses. KPMG firms identified which parts of their portfolio to grow through investment, or to exit, with a view to build the group’s long-term profitable existence.