Albania: Changes to real estate tax base
New reference market prices will apply for purposes of calculating real estate tax in the Tirana district
New reference market prices will apply for purposes of calculating real estate tax in the
The Albanian Council of Minister on 26 July 2023 approved amendments to Decision no.132 dated 7 March 2018 on "Methodology for valuation of the taxable value of real estate (buildings) used for residential or commercial purposes." The amendments became effective on 28 July 2023, the date published in the official gazette.
Under the amended decision, new reference market prices will apply for purposes of calculating real estate tax in the Tirana district.
- The new reference market prices vary from 81,700 ALL/m2 to 228,400 ALL/m2 (previously from 60,000 ALL/m2 to 190,000 ALL/m2) for residential buildings in the city of Tirana and from 23,000 ALL/m2 to 115,200 ALL/m2 (previously 23,000 ALL/m2 to 66,500 ALL/m2) for other surrounding areas of Tirana.
- The reference market prices for other districts in Albania remain the same and vary from 7,500 ALL/m2 to 67,500 ALL/m2.
The method of tax calculation remains unchanged and will continue to be calculated annually per the following categories of the real estate:
- 0.05% of the tax base for buildings used for residential purposes
- 0.2% of the tax base for buildings used for commercial purposes
- 30% of the tax rate applicable depending on the categorization of the building applied to incomplete constructions within the term approved in the construction permit
Municipalities have the right to decrease or increase the tax rate up to 30% for properties located in the subdivisions under their jurisdiction. In addition, municipalities may also apply once a year for a reduction of 35% on the average reference price of the buildings located in the territory which became part of the local governance unit as per the Law no. 115/2014 on Administrative Territorial Reform in Albania.
Read an August 2023 report prepared by the KPMG member firm in Albania
The KPMG name and logo are trademarks used under license by the independent member firms of the KPMG global organization. KPMG International Limited is a private English company limited by guarantee and does not provide services to clients. No member firm has any authority to obligate or bind KPMG International or any other member firm vis-à-vis third parties, nor does KPMG International have any such authority to obligate or bind any member firm. The information contained herein is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavor to provide accurate and timely information, there can be no guarantee that such information is accurate as of the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. No one should act on such information without appropriate professional advice after a thorough examination of the particular situation. For more information, contact KPMG's Federal Tax Legislative and Regulatory Services Group at: + 1 202 533 3712, 1801 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.