IFRS 17 insurance contracts and solvency II
28 & 29 September 2021 | 9:00 a.m. – 13.00 p.m. | 7 CPD
28 & 29 September 2021 | 9:00 a.m. – 13.00 p.m. | 7 CPD
Please note that since the daily numbers of COVID-19 cases in Cyprus are still considered high, KPMG Academy will keep offering its trainings online until further notice, to ensure the safety of its clients and personnel. In case of considerable decrease in COVID-19 cases in Cyprus and if the level of contamination through physical gatherings becomes relatively low, webinars will be converted to face-to-face seminars. If so, this training will be conducted on 28 September 2021 (from 9:00 to 17:15) instead of 28 & 29 September 2021 (from 9:00 to 13:00). Further information will be communicated to you in due course
This is a highly recommended training on IFRS 17 insurance contracts and solvency II, which aims to keep professionals, who work in the insurance sector, informed of the particular IFRS and up to date on other related regulatory issues. It is expected that the new standard will introduce a comprehensive new accounting model that will give users of financial information a whole new perspective on the financial statements of the insurers. Furthermore, it will herald an end to the lack of comparability in the insurance sector, increase the transparency about the profitability of new and in-force businesses and provide users with additional insights into the financial health of an insurer. Undoubtedly, all insurers will see impact on their reported numbers, whilst it is estimated that the implementation of the standard, which essentially redefines insurance accounting, will require substantial effort.
By the end of the webinar, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the requirements of the new standard and the relevant regulatory issues
2. Apply in practice the IFRS 17 and Solvency II requirements
3. Demonstrate the impact of the new standard on their profession by being updated on the following
- IFRS 17: Overview
- IFRS 17: Scope and measurement model
- IFRS 17: Measurement modifications
- IFRS 17 Insurance Contracts: disclosures, acquisitions and transition
- Solvency II: Overview and latest updates
- Solvency II: Differences and similarities with IFRS 17
4. Adopt and implement transparency strategies.
This seminar is essential for the insurance sector’s CEOs, financial controllers, finance managers, finance directors, actuarial professionals, risk managers, accountants and auditors, who wish to be informed about this new IFRS standard and legislation. It is also beneficial for professionals in the insurance sector, who are involved in the financial statements preparation process and / or the provision of compliance services.
*The number of participants is restricted to 28
1. IFRS 17 insurance contracts: overview (1 hr)
- Overview of the new standard on insurance
- Introduction on the scope of the new standard
- Measurement requirements of the new standard and its effective date
2. IFRS 17 insurance contracts: scope and general measurement model (1hr & 30 min)
- Separating components
- Contract boundaries
- Loss recovery components
- Foreign currency
- Coverage units
- General measurement model
- De-recognition and contract modification
3. IFRS 17 insurance contracts: measurement modifications and presentation
(1 hr & 30 min)
- Presentation – general requirements
1. Insurance service result
- Premium allocation approach (PAA)
- Variable fee approach (VFA)
- Reinsurance contracts held
- Presentation – other considerations
1. Onerous contracts
- Separate vs Consolidated
4. IFRS 17 insurance contracts: disclosures, acquisitions and transition (1 hr)
- Insurance contracts acquired
1. Full retrospective application
2. Modified retrospective approach
3. Fair value approach
- Interim reporting
- IFRS 9 vs IFRS 17 interaction
- Other considerations
- Effective date
- Next steps
5. Solvency II (1 hr & 30 min)
- Solvency II in summary
- Solvency II updates
- Solvency II and IFRS 17 differences and similarities.
6. Questions and answers (30 min)
If you wish to register for the webinar, please complete the registration form.
Once your registration is submitted, you will receive an email stating the participation fee, including any discounts, if applicable. Kindly note that the payment should be settled at least two days prior to the webinar’s date for your registration to be confirmed.
The programme has been approved by the HRDA. Enterprises participating with their employees who satisfy HRDA’s criteria, are entitled to subsidy. Please note that there are limited seats available, therefore enrol in this webinar as soon as possible.
If you do not receive our confirmation e-mail regarding your registration, your participation cannot be guaranteed.
€275 + VAT. Net investment after subsidy from the HRDA of €119: €208,25 (including VAT) for all eligible participants*
*Last Date for 10% Early Bird Discount: 03/09/2021
- For more than two (3+) participants from the same company a 10% discount is available on the total cost, before the VAT and HRDA subsidy. This discount only applies for participants who enrol in the same webinar, on the same day. This discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- For individuals/legal entities who/which register in more than two (3+) webinars during the same semester (January-June & July-December), a 10% discount is available on the total cost, before the VAT and HRDA subsidy. This discount only applies for individuals/legal entities who/which enrol in more than two (3+) webinars during the same semester, on the same day. This discount can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- There is a 10% discount for alumni members. This discount should be applied before the VAT and HRDA subsidy and can only be combined with the early bird discount and the HRDA subsidy, when applicable. For more information on our alumni scheme, click here.
- There is a 10% early bird discount on selected webinars for participants who enrol in a training course until a specific date which is stated above. This discount should be applied before the VAT and HRDA subsidy and can only be combined with the HRDA subsidy, when applicable.
- HRDA subsidy for all HRDA approved webinars.
For any queries, please contact Irini Avraam on +357 22 207 460 or at email@example.com.
CPD: This webinar may contribute to Continuing Professional Development requirements. Shortly after the webinar’s date, participants will receive electronically a certificate of attendance confirming the total number of training hours (7 CPD)
Board Member, IFRS 9 and IFRS 17 implementation leader, Audit, KPMG in Cyprus
Pangratios joined KPMG in Cyprus in 2003 and became a Board Member in 2017. He holds a BA in Accounting & Finance from Lancaster University and is an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
Pangratios possesses versatile industry experience deriving from sectors such as the financial services, consumer products, airline transport industry, agriculture and food and beverages. In 2014, he was pivotal in the creation of the KPMG Enterprise and Startups team of KPMG in Cyprus, for which he acts as the team leader.
He is actively involved in the group which offers training and support within KPMG in Cyprus, as well as in the DPP (Accounting) of KPMG in Cyprus, which provides insights, consultation and training on financial reporting issues both internally and externally. Pangratios is the implementation leader and contact person on IFRS 17 and IFRS 9 matters of KPMG Cyprus IFRS Helpdesk team. In addition, he is currently the Chairman of the Accounting Committee of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Cyprus.
Senior Manager, Accounting Advisory, Member of DDP (Accounting), KPMG in Cyprus
Maria graduated from the University of Cyprus with a BSc in Economics. She qualified as an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales in 2010. In addition, she obtained the Fraud Examiner certification in 2016 from the American Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). Maria has been working at KPMG in Cyprus for more than ten years.
Maria has a versatile industry experience in the financial services sector, as well as hotel, manufacturing and retail industries. During her career, she has proved to be turning knowledge into value, whilst providing on-the-job training to team members, in order to improve the quality of audit files. In addition, Maria has offered technical, accounting and training support to KPMG employees as well as KPMG clients.
Maria is currently in-charge of the Accounting Advisory Services focusing on IFRS 9 Financial Instruments and IFRS 17 Insurance contracts. She possesses advanced knowledge related to IFRSs.
Senior Manager, Financial Risk Management, KPMG in Cyprus
Alexandros possesses more than 10 years of experience in the provision of Actuarial and Insurance services. He is responsible for the insurance services offered by the Financial Risk Management Department at KPMG in Cyprus.
Alexandros has extensive experience in Solvency II, actuarial modelling, insurance business planning, pricing as well as in IFRS 17 and risk management. More specifically, Alexandros gained valuable experience when he was working at an insurance company in Cyprus as a Life and Non-Life Actuary for more than 4 years.
Alexandros has delivered several training workshops on Solvency II, Risk Management and IFRS 17. He is a member of KPMG Cyprus IFRS 17 team and amongst his duties is the support of clients with gap analysis and implementations. He mainly contributes in actuarial advising, as well as the calculation of the insurance liabilities and risk adjustment.
The programme has been approved by the HRDA. Enterprises participating with their employees who satisfy HRDA’s criteria, are entitled to subsidy.