Grant is a partner of KPMG Tax Law LLP. His practice is focused on providing tax advice to the ﬁnancial services sector including investment funds with cross-border investments, credit unions, banks, and ﬁnance companies. He also advises on oﬀshore/international tax planning matters and frequently represents clients in negotiations and dispute resolutions with revenue agencies.
Grant is an experienced speaker and author on both FATCA and Canada’s Common Reporting Standard.
Professional and Industry experience:
Grant has over 15 years of experience advising clients on purchase and sale transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and on shareholder and partnership issues. His current practice includes advising on cross-border investment and lending structures, and investment structuring for pension plans.
He has been the lead tax advisor on several representative transactions including:
- Industry-wide segregation of ‘mandatory liquidity pools’ held for BC and Ontario credit unions
- The mergers of notable financial and investment service providers
- The mergers of several prominent credit unions
As a frequent speaker at tax conferences and an author of many taxation publications, his work includes:
- Current Issues," 2018 British Columbia Tax Conference (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation 2018), 2:1-20
- “Fresh Start Rules on Becoming an Aﬃliate”, XX (2) International Tax Planning (Federated Press) 1392-95 (2015)
- "FATCA for Non-Financial Institutions and the Implications of the Canada-US IGA for Canadian Institutions,” Report of the Proceedings of the Sixty-Sixth Tax Conference, 2014 (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation 2015), 34:1-23
- “Foreign Accrual Tax and Flow-through Entities”, XVIII (4) International Tax Planning (Federated Press)
- “The Supreme Court of Canada Releases its Decision in GlaxoSmithKline Inc. v. Canada” 2012 Volume XVIII, No. 1 International Tax
- Planning (Federated Press);
- Department of Finance Draft Legislative Proposals a Response to Lehigh” 2011 Volume XVI, No. 3 International Tax Planning
- (Federated Press);
- “Mothership Revisited – Canada’s Foreign Aﬃliate Regime and Active Business Income” 2010 Volume XV, No. 4 International Tax
- Planning (Federated Press);
- “CRA Requests for Information Under the Income Tax Act – A Review of Sections 231.1 and 231.2” 2008 British Columbia Tax
- Conference (Vancouver: Canadian Tax Foundation, 2008) 1:1-18
- “FIE Proposals Overview” (2007) vol. 15, no. 1 Canadian Tax Highlights
- “Hong Kong-Chinese Mainland Treaty” (2006) 14:9 Canadian Tax Highlights
- “Canada Reﬁnes Rules on Non-Resident Trusts”, International Tax Review, 2003, vol. 14, no. 6
- "Net Closes in Around Non-Resident Trusts (Parts I - II)" Oﬀshore Investment (2002) nos. 129, 130
Called to the British Columbia Bar in 2002
University of Toronto, J.D. 2001
University of Victoria, B. Comm.(Distinction) 1997
Canadian Bar Association
Director of AdvantageBC International Business Centre Vancouver
Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation and the Canadian Bar Association.
Former member of the editorial board of Federated Press’ International Tax Planning journal, and has written extensively on offshore trusts, corporate tax issues, and Canada’s foreign affiliate regime