Transport & Infrastructure careers
Transport & Infrastructure
Careers for graduates: work with public and private sector organisations to better plan Australia.
Careers for graduates: work with the public and private sector to better plan Australia.
In a nutshell, what does your business group/service line do?
The Transport & Infrastructure team works with public and private sector organisations to better plan Australia’s cities and regions. Combining diverse backgrounds in economics, engineering, urban and infrastructure planning, data science and more, our team brings a holistic approach to give clear insight about the ‘what’, ‘where’, ‘when’, ‘how’ and ‘why’ of future transport and infrastructure projects. The five key capabilities of the national team are:
- Investment decision making: Our team cuts through complexities and uncertainties to appraise the benefits and costs of proposed transport and infrastructure investments, to guide governments and other bodies to shape Australia’s cities and regions in the most optimal way.
- Policy, regulation and governance: our team provides advice to government on how to best structure their policy, regulation and governance and achieve the best outcomes for the community.
- Smart transport and future mobility: our team uses innovative and critical thinking to help clients navigate the uncertainties of future transport and city operations emerging from technologies such as electric and hydrogen vehicles, Mobility as a Service and autonomous vehicles.
- Transport planning: Our team uses cutting edge methodology, software and expertise to advise governmental bodies on how roads, rail, bus, tram and other transport modes are being used in the present and how they are forecasted to be used in the future, shaping the planning of future transport networks.
- City and regional strategy: our team supports clients as they plan and shape the future of our communities. Whether this be through transport and infrastructure, social infrastructure or policy and regulation, our team helps create a sustainable and long term vision and a plan for our cities and regions.
What does the average day look like?
No two days are ever the same in the Transport & Infrastructure team. One day, you might be at a client site, attending meetings and working face-to-face with clients to help navigate through complex transport and infrastructure investment decisions. Another day, you might be in the KPMG office, working on a proposal, a slide deck for a presentation, a chapter of a business case or attending a training session. The constant aspect is the teamwork and collaboration – our team members work closely with each other, from the partners through to the graduates. KPMG’s emphasis on agile working means that there is scope for flexibility in how, when and where you get your work done – the team is very accommodating at balancing your personal commitments with work.
What will I learn in the first year?
By being around renowned industry professionals, experiencing on the job project-related experience and through our in-house training, graduates within our team rapidly develop technical transport and infrastructure skills, such as socio-economic and demographic forecasting, transport demand modelling, economic analysis and much more. The opportunity for upskilling in programming and coding skills is also available, regardless of what level your skills in this area are when you commence.
The collaborative nature of the Transport & Infrastructure team means that from day one, you will be building crucial soft skills such as communication, teamwork in a diverse environment and problem solving.
What’s the best part of the role?
The best part of the role is the meaningful contribution the team makes our communities by shaping our cities and regions and provide the right infrastructure at the right place and make a meaningful difference to people’s lives. The vast breadth of engagements that the Transport & Infrastructure team undertakes allows our graduate to make a meaningful contribution from day one. The variety of projects ensures that every day you will be contributing in a positive way and will learn something new and interesting. More importantly, you get to do this within a social, supportive and motivated team whilst making a difference to the future liveability of Australia.
Connect with us
- Find office locations kpmg.findOfficeLocations
- Social media @ KPMG kpmg.socialMedia