The inaugural KPMG Enterprise Report looks at the current shape of NZs private sector. The report shows that not enough Kiwi businesses take that leap from being a small entity to growing and achieving their full potential.
The inaugural KPMG Enterprise Report includes analysis and commentary on the current shape of New Zealand’s private business sector.
KPMG partnered with Colmar Brunton to conduct quantitative and qualitative research; conducting workshops and in-depth interviews, looking at how to grow New Zealand’s future prosperity.
Using case studies and commentary, the Enterprise Report takes an in-depth look at the three key stages in an entrepreneur’s journey – the start-up phase, the growth phase, and the ‘letting go’ phase (where the business owner steps aside to let others lead the business).
The KPMG Enterprise Report discusses how, although New Zealand is a great place to start a business and to do business, it seems that it is not that easy to grow a business here. Not enough of our business take that leap from being a small concern to achieving their full potential. Medium-sized enterprises (averaging 23 employees and turnover around $5m) are contributing 34% of gross domestic product (GDP).despite making up just 6.5% of New Zealand’s businesses.
Details that came out from Enterprise Report
- There are over 470,000 business enterprises in New Zealand, 97 per cent have fewer than 20 employees and just under 70 per cent are one-man outfits.
- Medium size enterprises grew their value add by 9%, which is more than any other business sector.
- Small firms invest in less, are less profitable, fail more often, export less – only 16 per cent of small companies export, compared to 22 per cent small-medium companies and 32 per cent of medium-sized companies).
- Only one in five small businesses say growth is a key goal.
The Report delivers some key insights into what’s required to grow a business. Looking through KPMG New Zealand’s Enterprise DNA framework we have focused on the traits covering leadership and ambition and have found clear differences in the attitudes and attributes between the people leading small companies, compared with those that have ambitions to grow.
For in-depth analysis, download a copy of Enterprise Report 2016.
© 2023 KPMG, a New Zealand partnership and a member firm of the KPMG network of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative (KPMG International), a Swiss entity. All rights reserved.
Connect with us
- Find office locations kpmg.findOfficeLocations
- Social media @ KPMG kpmg.socialMedia