Abhi is a partner in KPMG’s financial institutions practice with a focus on financial institutions audit, accounting advisory services and professional practice matters.
Abhi has over 20 years of experience with KPMG and has worked extensively with Canadian financial institutions ranging from the largest banks to small credit unions and also with clients in the technology and media industry.
Relevant Professional and Industry Experience
- Extensive audit experience with Canadian financial institutions – big 5 Canadian banks, mid-sized banks and credit unions. Specialization in accounting for and audit of lending portfolios (retail and wholesale) and IFRS 9 ECL, capital markets and treasury functions (including various forms of securities issuances and structured transactions). Currently leading the audits of a large Canadian bank and Canada’s largest stock exchange.
o Banking auditor since 2003.
o Lead the IFRS 9 transition audit from 2016 to 2018 for a large Canadian bank and two small Canadian banks.
o Lead the IFRS 9 transition accounting advisory services for small Canadian banks and the entire credit union network in Canada.
o Lead partner for TMX Group
- 16 years of experience of working directly with audit committees and board of directors at large and small Canadian financial institutions and other public companies.
- Accounting advisory services with a focus on ECL, capital markets and treasury transactions at large Canadian banks and other financial institutions (including mortgage lenders and credit unions).
- Designated securities partner in Canada. Designated US securities filing partner. Extensive experience with prospectuses and continuous disclosure documents of Canadian and US listed companies, across a range of industries including banking, mining, entertainment, communications and media.
- Professional Practice Partner for financial services audit in GTA – responsible for audit quality and practice protection.
- Deputy leader of KPMG Canada’s national financial instruments topic team, dealing with financial instruments accounting under IFRS and US GAAP.
- Member of KPMG’s global banking audit quality group.
- Authored Canadian and global articles/ publications on accounting and auditing matters (KPMG and external).
B.Comm.(Honours)(University of Delhi, India)
Financial Statement Auditing
International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
Member of Resource Committee at Microskills (an NPO)