Prior to KPMG, Lourens worked as a divisional manager and head of business intelligence at Discovery, a global insurance company. Prior to that he worked in PwC’s actuarial, risk and quants practice where his experience ranged from loss reserving, capital and valuation offerings across various jurisdictions utilising standards such as Solvency II, SAM and IFRS.
- supported on a number of projects in Bermuda to calculate or review the BSCR as well as economic balance sheet technical provisions (including SBA methodology)
- supported on various internal audit and other assurance engagements by assessing the quantitative aspects of (re)insurers’ ORSA or CISSA reports.
- supported on independent actuarial opinions for section 25 (International Business / Portfolio) transfers
- supported on a range of approved actuary opinions covering various variations of group life, annuity and universal life products
- led a team to review and assist with the transition of risk-based solvency capital requirements to newly released standards (SAM) for some of the biggest insurance companies (including captives) in South Africa
- established, grew and managed a team of 10+ analysts to look after the management information systems and reporting needs of a globally recognised insurance company
- chaired a wide range of strategic management forums at an insurer aiming to track and improve various corporate KPIs
- 4+ years of exposure to quarterly actuarial committee meetings within the insurance industry to assess and strategise around key actuarial metric and solutions within the company
- formed part of a committee of a business insurance start up, which involved measuring, strategizing, developing and enabling various business units (e.g. sales, operations etc.) to effectively scale the business
BSc Actuarial Science Honours (Cum laude) from the University of Pretoria (2015)
Fellow (FIA) actuary of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries in the United Kingdom (2022)
Fellow (FASSA) actuary of the Actuarial Society of South African (2019)
KPMG representative at BILTIR