Function and specialization
Tom is a Principal and Leader of KPMG’s Industrial Manufacturing Strategy Practice. He works with Aerospace, Industrial and Automotive clients to develop breakout strategies and transform business performance
- Education, Licenses & Certifications
- MBA, Amos Tuck School, Dartmouth College
- BS Economics, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- BS Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
Tom is based in the Cleveland office. With 25 years consulting experience, he focuses on operations strategy, business transformation and capabilities-driven growth strategies. His consulting experience spans a broad range of discrete-products industries with a focus on Aerospace, Industrials, Construction Products and Automotive.
Tom serves as Co-Chairman of the Master of Supply Chain Management Corporate Advisory Council for the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. He has been sought out as a panelist and speaker on manufacturing strategy by prominent organizations as diverse as The Council on Competitiveness, the Georgia Center for Logistics and the Los Angeles Economic Development Council, and the Grocery Manufacturer’s Association.
Professional and industry experience
- Actively engaged in connected vehicle, mobility services and autonomous vehicle market assessment and growth strategy efforts with a cross section of OEMs, Tier 1s, and venture teams.
- Led transformation strategy development for the aftermarket parts and service division of a major automotive OEM. Developed product, distribution and service strategy to capture post-warranty share. Launched pricing and program development pilots in WD and independent channels. Launched certified affiliate pilot program with independent repair facilities in Latin America.
- Led development of a Connected Product strategy for a major commercial truck Tier 1. Identified life-cycle cost value proposition for major fleet customers, led assessment of technology options, development of in-use application and data acquisition approaches and stand-up of in-field pilots with fleet accounts, dealers and channel partners.
- Leading development of autonomous vehicle and mobility as a service strategies for a leading global Auto OEM. Evaluating future technology and business model evolution, likely consumer adoption rates and resulting market requirements for vehicles, mobility services and aftermarket maintenance and support.
- Led due diligence and developed post-merger integration strategy for a € 6 billion global rail transit equipment consolidation.
- Led strategic investment assessment and due diligence for a major global trading company’s co-investment in North American tire manufacturing.
- Led turnaround program for North America division of a major global tire company. Identified over $500 million of operational cost reductions and a set of programs to improve price realization by 5 to 7%. Developed change management infrastructure and integrated program with which the client restored its North America operations to profitability