Gary is the Firm’s National Automotive Industry Leader, as well as the Global Lead Partner for Ford Motor Company. Gary has 25+ years of business experience, including over 17 years in the automotive industry.
Professional and industry experience
- Gary has advised numerous domestic and multinational companies in areas of strategy, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures. His specific focus includes helping clients identify and evaluate new investment and growth strategies from technology start-up companies to large scale multibillion-dollar investments.
- For the past eight years he has focused on the intersection of technology and the automotive industry with groundbreaking research on Self-Driving Cars, connectivity and mobility demand services.
- He has also worked on some of the most iconic, complex and strategic transactions in the industry. In particular, Gary has worked as an advisor to Ford Motor Company on its three most recent divestitures: Aston Martin, Jaguar/Land Rover, and Volvo and it’s recent multibillion AV Joint Venture with Volkswagen. Mr. Silberg has also advised Chrysler Corporation as part of its transaction with Fiat and now is working on the Peugeot/Fiat Chrysler transaction. He also has extensive knowledge and experience working with tier 1 automotive suppliers.
- He has assisted several start-up automotive companies in developing their long-term strategies and business plans.
- Gary is fluent in French and speaks basic level Chinese (Mandarin).
Thought leadership in the Automotive Industry
- Gary is the chair of the annual Executive Automotive Share Forum Series, conducted in parallel with the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and Los Angeles.
- He has written extensively about the industry. A selection of Gary’s recent publications include:
- Autonomy delivers: An oncoming revolution in the movement of goods
- Islands of Autonomy
- I see. I think. I drive. (I learn).
- The Clockspeed Dilemma – what it means for automotive innovation
- Me, My Car, My Life … in the ultra-connected age
- Self-driving cars: Are We Ready?
- Self Driving Cars: The Next Revolution
- Automotive semiconductors: The new ICE age
- The future of automotive retailing
- Gary also often provides media commentary on global trends in the automotive industry, including many guest appearances on CNBC, Squawk Box, Bloomberg TV – Other news media interviews include The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Reuters, Fortune, Forbes, Bloomberg, Wired, The Silicon Valley Business Journal, CNN Money, Industry Week, Outlook Business of India, China Auto and Yomiuri Shimbun of Japan and Automotive News.
MBA with honors, University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business (Economics and Finance)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Accounting - University of Missouri-Columbia
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
Certified Public Accountant
Certified Management Accountant
Ford Motor Company