World Backup Day is an annual event that’s celebrated on March 31st that is dedicated to promoting the importance of backing up digital data and taking proactive steps to protect valuable data from loss, theft, or corruption. On this World Backup Day, we are encouraging you, our client, to take a moment to assess your data backup strategy.
In today’s digital age, data is one of the most valuable assets we possess. According to Western Digital, 70% of consumers suffer from unexpected data loss with costly recoveries. This loss of data can cause irreparable damage to your organization’s brand and the individuals who are impacted which is why it is crucial to have a backup plan in place.
Recent research shows that only 25% of people back up their data regularly and even if you are one of those who back up regularly, 60% of backups tends to be incomplete.
Why have a backup plan?
A backup plan is crucial to your company as it:
- Protects against cyberattacks: Cybercriminals are becoming more sophisticated and ransomware attacks are on the rise. Having a backup of your data can help with a quick recovery and turnaround.
- Protects against hardware failure: Hard drives can fail anytime and if there is no backup of your data, it may be lost permanently.
- Protects against natural disasters: Floods, hurricanes, or fires can damage or destroy your devices, and a backup of your data can minimize the impact of such disasters.
Six top tips to protect your data:
- Determine the most appropriate backup type and retention periods based on the criticality of the process that the data and systems support and statutory requirements.
- Develop a formal, documented backup plan of what needs to be backed up and how often.
- Conduct periodic restoration testing of backups.
- Establish a backup retention policy.
- Encrypt backups with a technology that is in line with the level of sensitivity of the data being backed up and manage access to backups (physical and logical), as well as backup logs.
- Store backups at a separate geographical location from the primary data center.
We hope you will take this opportunity to ensure your data is protected, secured, and easily accessible in case of unforeseen events.
If you have any questions about data backup plans and cyber security, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Connect with us
- Find office locations kpmg.findOfficeLocations
- Social media @ KPMG kpmg.socialMedia