Serbian VAT law allows a refund to foreign taxpayers of Serbian VAT charged on supplies of the goods and services purchased within Serbia.
Conditions required for VAT refund
VAT can be refunded under following conditions:
- If the VAT for the supply of goods and services is stated in the invoice, and if that invoice is paid;
- The minimum amount for a VAT refund in Serbia is EUR 200, in Serbian dinar equivalent;
- If conditions, which allow VAT payer to use the right to deduct input VAT for purchased goods and services, are met;
- If the VAT payer has not supplied any goods and services in the Republic of Serbia, apart from the zero-rated transport of goods, transport of passengers by bus, for which the Customs Authority charge VAT, as well as goods and services for which the recipient is obliged to charge input VAT.
VAT refund is possible only for legal entities established in countries with which Serbia has reciprocity, namely:
- The Netherlands
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Great Britain
- Turkey – (refund is limited to supplies related to transportation, trade fairs and similar)
A request for a VAT refund for 2021 can be submitted by 30 June 2022 at the latest.
In order to submit a VAT refund request, a foreign taxpayer should obtain a Serbian tax identification number.
KPMG is able to assist at each step of the VAT refund process, namely:
- review of the fulfilment of conditions for a VAT refund;
- assistance in obtaining a Serbian tax identification number;
- preparation and submission of a VAT refund request and supporting documentation;
- communication and follow up with the Tax Authorities.
If you have any questions or you need assistance of our professionals, please contact us at email@example.com
For previous editions of KPMG Tax Alerts please visit the following web page:
KPMG Tax & Legal Department
KPMG d.o.o. Beograd
Milutina Milankovića 1J
11 070 Belgrade, Serbia
T: +381 11 20 50 500
F: +381 11 20 50 550