As featured on PhilStar: It’s ORUS time, Taxpayers!
Are you the type of person who is impatient and has a low tolerance for standing and waiting in long queues? Or perhaps someone who has a hectic schedule and finds it difficult to find time to complete and meet the requirements set forth by the government? The truth is, we are all like this! The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) understands this has implemented measures to help make it easier for taxpayers.
One such measure is Revenue Memorandum Order (RMO) No. 27-2020, "BIR Digital Transformation (DX) Roadmap 2020-2030", in accordance with Republic Act (RA) No. 11032, also known as the "Ease of Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018". Providing convenient, accessible and fast registration for all taxpayers is one of the primary goals of the BIR's Digital Transformation Plan in 2022-2023, as such, it has introduced the Online Registration and Update System (ORUS), which enables taxpayers to register, update and transact with the BIR for registration-related transactions online.
As provided in Revenue Memorandum Circular (RMC) No. 153-2022, issued last 12 December 2022, the ORUS is a web-based system that provides all taxpayers a convenient and alternative facility for the end-to-end process of their registration with the BIR. The ORUS system can be accessed by every taxpayer through the BIR official website (www.bir.gov.ph) under the eServices icon or through the URL (https://orus.bir.gov.ph).
RMC Nos. 12-2023 and 36-2023 were issued to announce the availability and implementation of the following registration-related online transactions, functions and features in the ORUS.
- Registration Information Update
- Availment of an 8% Income Tax Return Option
- Submission of Application for Change in Accounting Period
- Registration/Addition of Tax Incentive
- Change/Update of Contact Type
- Change/Update of Contact Person/Authorized Representative
- Change/Update of Stockholders/Members/Partners
- Online Payment (e-Payment) of Annual Registration Fee (RF) for New Business Registrants
- Online Inquiry of RF Payment for BIR Internal Users
- Secondary Registration
- Registration of Permit to Use (PTU) Loose-leaf
- System Registration of Computerized Accounting System (CAS)
- Application for Cancellation of PTU Loose-leaf and Acknowledgement Certificate (AC) of CAS
- Other Online Facility
- Submission of Application for Closure or De-registration of Business
- Submission of Application for Tax Identification Number (TIN) Cancellation
- Online Verification of TIN
- BIR Registered Business Search Facility
To be able to enroll in the said system, all taxpayers who intend to transact online with the BIR through ORUS are advised to update their registration records, such as e-mail address and contact information using the S1905 – Registration Update Sheet (RUS) pursuant to RMC No. 122-2022. The RUS is available at the Client Support Section (CSS) of the Revenue District Office (RDO) and is also downloadable from the Bureau’s Official Website (www.bir.gov.ph) under the Advisory Section. The designated e-mail address should be the taxpayer’s official e-mail address which shall be used in serving BIR orders, notices, letters and other processes/communications.
With ORUS, taxpayers can now simply store or update their data whenever they want, even from the comfort of their own homes saving them time and effort to do other things such as manage their businesses, increase productivity at work, or just spend time with their families and unwind after a long, exhausting day.
Shaira May M. Ocampo
KPMG in the Philippines