Change is the new normal for businesses in every sector today and KPMG's Consumer & Retail M&A trends 2019 report - The race for game-changing transformation and strategic growth (PDF 2.39 MB) - reveals how industry players are responding proactively to the rapidly evolving global consumer marketplace.
The powerful influence of millennials and Gen Y on global consumption, combined with a change in consumer behavior and the opening up of emerging markets, has sector players racing to transform business models via digital technology in order to meet the preferences and expectations of today's increasingly savvy and informed consumers.
In this dynamic environment, as the report notes, the 2018 M&A market was largely driven by consolidation, expansion into high-growth geographies, portfolio strategy, technology innovation and product premiumization.
Key M&A themes for Consumer and Retail in 2019
Looking ahead, we anticipate a mixed 2019 as corporate and Private Equity (PE) players seek growth amid political and economic uncertainty. Remaining relevant and delivering growth and shareholder value in a disruptive environment will continue to dominate the corporate strategic agenda even against the backdrop of economic volatility in the year ahead.
We see 3 key trends shaping the global M&A landscape in 2019:
- Portfolio optimization: creating the right mix as corporates reshape portfolios in response to changing consumer behaviors.
- Healthy, ethical and authentic: businesses respond as consumers focus on healthier eating, sustainable consumption and ethically sourced food
- Digital transformation: the race for game-changing digital transformation continues
For more information, download the full report (PDF 2.39 MB) or contact Nicola Longfield, Global C&R Deal Advisory Lead.
Connect with us
- Find office locations kpmg.findOfficeLocations
- Social media @ KPMG kpmg.socialMedia