As the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), you will be the driver of modern technologies and digital solutions. You will be responsible for the definition and delivery of the overall technology strategy, including the implementation of the organisation’s digital transformation. You will lead the new IT Department, which will encompass 4 key units:
- IT Policy and Projects Management.
- Business Systems Development (Digital Hub).
- IT Business Operations Management.
- Infrastructure Management.
You will collaborate and work with Top Management to ensure the Organisation has the requisite technology infrastructure and capabilities to support our business goals and objectives. You will lead all digital innovations, improve efficiency, whilst demonstrating strong technology and business acumen. You will demonstrate managerial capability, lead, and develop the department by building and ensuring the right talent, and skills across the Information Technology function.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Technology Strategy and Vision Development
- Lead and refine the overall technology strategy, aligned with our overall goals and objectives, ensuring scalability, security, and efficiency.
- Collaborate closely with Top Management to align technology initiatives with business objectives and foster a culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Create vision, strategy, and timelines for the development and deployment of game-changer technological products and services.
- Champion innovation and institutional change through technology-led initiatives to enhance service delivery and increase operational efficiency and productivity.
- Identify opportunities for leveraging technology to enhance operational efficiency, taxpayer experience, and revenue generation.
- Clearly communicate the Organisation’s technical vision and roadmap to critical stakeholders, partners, and the broader executive leadership team. Regularly present goals, wins, and progress updates.
Technical and Operational Responsibilities
- Continuously stay up to date with the latest methodologies, emerging technologies, and industry-leading practices, and integrate these insights to the Organisation’s context, delivering tangible business value and distinctive advantages.
- Translate business needs into technical solutions, establishing a seamless link between technology and our overarching business strategy.
- Facilitate the planning and execution of capital projects for novel technology initiatives that influence operational success of the Organisation.
- Cultivate and build connections with business units to oversee the maintenance and support services for applications.
- Capture novel functional requisites across HR, Finance, Administration, and other critical domains, and recommend efficient solutions to cater to these needs.
- Develop project plans and oversee the timely and budget-conscious delivery of project objectives, which may include enhancing existing systems or developing new applications.
- Ensure that corporate applications are secure and compliant with all applicable regulations.
- Effectively manage all service level agreements and relationships with external service providers, leveraging industry best practices to enhance service delivery.
- Oversee and coordinate routine to moderately complex maintenance and enhancement tasks in collaboration with service providers responsible for supporting corporate applications.
- Develop and manage the technology department's budget, ensuring efficient resource allocation to achieve optimal value and impact.
Leadership and People Management
- Attract, develop, and retain a high performing team to meet the current and evolving needs of the Organisation through coaching, mentoring, and performance management to nurture technology talent and enhance capacity to deliver impactful results.
- Establish and guide a high-achieving technology team, setting clear expectations, offering constructive feedback, and nurturing an environment that encourages ongoing growth and learning.
- Champion thought leadership in the integration of cutting-edge technology, standards, protocols, and tools within the fast-evolving digital taxation landscape.
- Offer technical guidance for optimizing and designing the Organisation's business process models and the architecture that supports them.
- Effectively convey the technology vision to both Top Management and the employees of the Organisation.
- Proficient understanding of networking protocols, server management network security, and managing modern network infrastructure to ensure seamless and secure connectivity.
- Proficient understanding of the software development lifecycle, business process mapping, and optimization.
- Extensive knowledge of tax laws, government policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Strong business acumen to cultivate internal and external business connections and effectively lead change management processes related to technology in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Understanding of current technological trends and emerging technologies, including Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), blockchain, and their potential applications.
- Proficient understanding of software delivery methodologies such as agile project management and DevOps.
- Sound knowledge in contemporary web, mobile, and application delivery platforms, coupled with expertise in Cloud management technologies such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc. and tools crucial for developing scalable and cost-effective solutions.
- Proficient understanding of IT service management, including incident and problem management tools and support processes.
- Understanding of data management, data analysis and data visualization to leverage data-driven insights for decision-making.
- Strong agile project management skills, overseeing the successful implementation of core business and cloud-based solutions for both internal business teams and external consumers.
- Knowledge of vendor evaluation, selection, and management to engage with external technology partners effectively.
- Extensive knowledge of Information Technology industry regulations and data privacy laws to ensure technology practices align with legal requirements.
- Proficiency in IT governance, IT strategy and enterprise architecture.
- Proven knowledge of disaster recovery planning and business continuity design.
- Strong analytical acumen, adept at simplifying complex problems, and skilled in orchestrating effective plans to address challenges and minimize risks.
- Proven track record of leading a high-performing engineering and product team.
- Highly skilled in cross-functional collaboration, with a remarkable talent for inspiring others and effectively conveying and implementing visionary ideas.
- Should be able to write code, debug code, and understand the underlying principles of programming.
- Should possess the ability to design and deploy databases, as well as proficiently query and manage data.
- Should possess knowledge in risk management, security management, cyber security, data quality and external compliance.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Must be action-oriented and self-driven.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
Qualifications and Technical Experience
- Master’s degree in management information systems, computer science, computer or software engineering, information technology or equivalent degree.
- At least 20 years of professional work experience with a minimum of five (5) years in a senior management role.
- Significant professional background in agile software development lifecycle and/or deploying and configuring ERPs or COTs, with a minimum of five years' expertise in API, Web Services, and integration solutions, proficiency in C#, Java, or similar programming languages and frameworks.
- At least 10 years’ experience in software development.
- Experience in managing digital transformation initiatives such as implementation of ERP and digital taxation systems.
- Experience in leveraging data analysis tools and business intelligence platforms to make data-driven decisions and optimize business processes.
- Proven leadership experience in spearheading cloud-based and mobile application development within large organizations.
- Experience in site reliability, cybersecurity, information security, and big data engineering and architecture.
- Relevant professional certifications such as CSM, PMP, ITIL, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Expert, CISM, etc.
- Experience with GIT or equivalent source control.
- Evidence of proficiency in overall management, applications development, as well as budget and financial management.
- Experience with the different types of technology that are used in digital transformation projects. This includes both hardware and software.
Interested and qualified, please submit your CV, application letter and copies of your certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email indicating the position applied for, not later than 19 OCTOBER 2023.
NB: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.