Mission Transformation – The general theme of the 2023 Budget speech delivered by the Rt Hon. Mia Mottley, Prime Minister of Barbados.
As part of the opening remarks delivered by the Prime Minister, she noted that no new taxes would be implemented. Instead, the capacity of the Government would be used to legislate, facilitate, regulate and empower. As such, it focused on national transformation, building a global society and world-class people.
Over the last few years there were challenging events the Government had to navigate, including but not limited to:
1. the first pandemic in 100 years,
2. ash fall from La Soufriere volcano, and
3. Hurricane Elsa.
To this end, the Government is now in the season of building. Building resilience, developing excellence and transforming Barbados to world class standards – Mission Transformation –Upward and Onward Bajan Excellence 2030!
Resilience for the country was noted as encompassing a number of key facets:
1. ensuring economic activity,
2. fostering social stability,
3. building human capital,
4. providing a framework for guarding natural patrimony and environment, and
5. creating the necessary infrastructure.